My mother turned me on the old goodies when I was not yet a teenager. She grew up adoring the 'old hollywood' (back when it had class; not this shit they have out there now). I knew Angela Lansbury, Rita Hayward, Jose Ferrer & his wife, Rosemary Clooney, Liz & Dick; oh! - the list was endless. This lasted well into my teenage years. Mom would tell me early in the day that something was coming on that night & it was our unspoken date. When the time would come, we would usually go to her room while she would tell me each movie star's name, their bio, etc. I loved that time! I didn't know any chick my age that was getting this type of lesson.
So in tribute to Mom, here are our favorite movies from back in the day. Just typing this list makes me smile. I told mom I was doing this & each movie I read off made her swoon! (LOL!) We're silly romantics at heart.
- Splendor in the Grass (Natalie Wood/Warren Beatty)
- Love w/the Proper Stranger (Natalie Wood/Steve McQueen)
- Back Street (Rita Hayward)
- Love Is a Many Splendored Thing (William Holden/Jennifer Holiday)
- A Summer Place (Troy Donohue/Sandra Dee)
- Peyton Place (Lana Turner)
- Susan Slade (Troy Donohue/Connie Stevens)
- Sayonara (Marlon Brando)
- Magnificent Obsession (Jane Wyman/Rock Hudson)
- Play Misty For Me (Clint Eastwood)
- Imitation of Life (Lana Turner)**
- Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?**
- Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte**
- Valley of the Dolls**
I also have to laugh @ how proper times were back then. I remember in V.of the Dolls, they bleeped out the word "hell." All those years I wondered what they blocked until I finally saw the 'uncut' version. (Ha!) I guess the stars of old would roll over if they could hear the words on TV today.... :-0!!!